Several Data Processing Assistants (DPAs) wanted on a freelance basis (Ref. 07/20)
Project "Teaching in wild New Caledonian crows"
P.I. Dr. Natalie Uomini
funded by Templeton World Charity Foundation
Dates of work: start as soon as possible
Location of work: at home
Work schedule: variable, flexible according to personal schedule
Type of contract: service contract (on a freelance basis)
Pay: 5 Euro (incl. VAT [if applicable] and incidental expenses) per file (the work is performed on ca. 5 minutes of audio within each file of 60 min ).
Number of files in total: 1,860. The workload is shared between multiple contractors.
Role in project: prepare audio files for the Machine Learning analysis
The DPA will assist in processing the audio data collected during fieldwork with the following duties:
- Listen to the audio files and identify sounds made by New Caledonian crows
- Create clips from longer files and annotate files following a given protocol
- Contribute to project publications and conference presentations (if desired).
- Meticulous and thorough approach, following instructions
- Ability to work precisely, even for boring work
- Willingness to learn simple annotation with ELAN (free software that runs on Linux, Mac and Windows)
- An internet connection to download the files
- Ability to listen to .wav audio files.
No prior knowledge of birds is necessary, but can be helpful.
Full training will be provided for: (a) recognising New Caledonian crows in audio and video, (b) annotation with ELAN, and (c) other skills as desired.
Note: The awarding office will not provide additional tender documents for this call.
How to apply
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org stating your interest until latest 15.07.2020. Please indicate within your application the tender reference number “07/20” as well as your name and postal address.
The award of the service contracts occur according to § 50 UVgO. All interested and eligible applicants will get a flexible service contract on a freelance basis. The contract will be conclude under consideration of the Supplementary contractual terms of the Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Science (Link: https://www.mpg.de/5757364/Zustzl_Vertragsbed_2005_en_a.pdf