Inaugural Cultural Evolution Society Conference
Abstract submission deadline: June 1, 2017
Notification to authors: July 2017
The organising team can be contacted at this address:
The Cultural Evolution Society supports evolutionary approaches to culture in humans and other animals. The society welcomes all who share this fundamental interest, including in the pursuit of basic research, teaching, or applied work. We are committed to fostering an integrative interdisciplinary community spanning traditional academic boundaries from across the social, psychological, and biological sciences, and including archaeology, computer science, economics, history, linguistics, mathematics, philosophy and religious studies. We also welcome practitioners from applied fields such as medicine and public health, psychiatry, community development, international relations, the agricultural sciences, and the sciences of past and present environmental change.
We have embraced the challenge of bringing members of these fields together under a shared interest in cultural evolution, based in rigorous science with strong theoretical foundations. Our inaugural meeting encourages contributions across a diversity of themes that may include:
- Analysis of quantitative data to study cultural and historical dynamics
- Cognitive anthropology
- Evolutionary psychology
- Comparative studies of social learning/cultural transmission in humans and other animals
- Education and outreach from Cultural Evolution into civil society
- Evolution of cooperation
- Experimental studies of social learning/cultural evolution
- ‘Grand Challenges’ revealed in the recent survey of founding members (link)
- Modelling of cultural evolutionary dynamics
- Neuroscience and biological approaches
- Phylogenetic analysis of culture and language
- Evolution of religious beliefs and practices
- Evolution of language and languages
- Real-world applications of cultural evolutionary knowledge
In this and future meetings, we are committed to an inclusive, pluralistic perspective. We hope you will join us in Jena, Germany at the inaugural meeting of the Cultural Evolution Society in September 2017.
Registration fees are 355 euros until June the 1st (early bird registration), 405 euros from June the 2d on, 180 euros for the first 40 students who register. The conference dinner fees are an additional 29 euros.