The Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History (MPI- SHH) is a new research institution in Jena, Germany, that is exploring the application of novel methods to the study of the past. The newly-established Department of Archaeology is offering a
- Provide technical support for the Ancient Proteomics and ZooMS (Zooarchaeology by Mass Spectrometry) laboratories, including:
- Ordering and maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Maintenance and operation of a MALDI-TOF mass spectrometer
- Management and ordering of laboratory consumables (often from German suppliers)
- Coordinate incoming samples, manage sample databases, and prepare and distribute sampling kits for use by staff and external collaborators.
- Prepare samples for proteomic and ZooMS analysis in conjunction with postdoctoral and postgraduate students.
- Support PhD students and Postdoctoral researchers in the development of lab skills and Health and Safety protocols.
- Assist with developing and implementing Standard Operating Procedures
- Collaborate with archaeological researchers with an interest in ancient protein analysis in the design and application of projects.
- Successful completion of studies or training as a technician or relevant degree in the Biosciences or Archaeological Science
- Practical experience with running and maintaining MALDI-TOF mass spectrometers or similar instruments, as well as general laboratory equipment
- Competency with database management
- Absolute reliability, excellent organizational skills, and a strong sense of responsibility.
- Ability to multi-task, find creative solutions to problems when necessary, and meet tight deadlines.
- Strong knowledge of both written and spoken English.
- Good knowledge of Mass Spectrometer computer software and computer use in general.
- Previous experience in a research/academic environment (especially in a technician role).
- Interest in multidisciplinary applications of proteomic methods to the study of the past.
- Strong knowledge of both written and spoken German.
We offer an interesting and responsible job in a competitive, dynamic and stimulating international research environment. Remuneration will follow the public service pay scale (TVöD), according to qualification and experience. In addition, social benefits are paid according to the regulations of the Civil Service. The fulltime-position is for two years with the possibility of becoming permanent.