The Department of Archaeology undertakes both field and laboratory research, and offers the opportunity to conduct cutting edge research in a dynamic and multidisciplinary environment.
We are seeking applicants in the areas listed here. You are welcome to suggest your own topic of interest, provided this fits with the Department’s core interests and themes. See here for a summary of our key research themes.
Please apply to join the Department of Archaeology if you:
- Are passionate about the study of the human past, and looking for an opportunity to push the boundaries of new methods and come up with novel approaches for examining archaeological remains
- Are keen to explore how archaeology intersects with other disciplines, in particular biomolecular, quantitative and linguistic approaches
- Have a background in one of the following areas: archaeology, archaeological science, anthropology, history, biological anthropology, biology, biochemistry, earth sciences or other relevant disciplines.
- Have an exceptionally strong academic record
- Are enthusiastic and hard-working
- Have excellent English skills
- Have or are about to obtain a Master’s degree or qualification equivalent to the German diploma (essential)
- Provide an excellent research proposal
- The opportunity to be involved in exciting research projects that provide opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration
- Support for field and laboratory research
- Opportunities to learn new skills in archaeological and archaeological science methodologies
- Cutting-edge facilities and equipment
- An excellent research environment
- An English language working environment
- Full funding for top applicants (3 years)