The new Department of Archaeology at the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History offers postdoctoral opportunities in a variety of areas. If you are interested in studying or working with us, please send us an application.
The Department of Archaeology undertakes both field and laboratory research, and offers the opportunity to conduct cutting edge research in a dynamic and multidisciplinary environment.
We have regular postdoctoral calls and recruiting days in our department. If there is no current advertised call, you can still apply to work with us by submitting an application. We offer a list of possible topics and areas of interest here. You are welcome to suggest your own topic of interest, provided this fits with the Department’s core interests and themes.
Please apply to join the Department of Archaeology if you:
- Are passionate about the study of the human past, and looking for an opportunity to push the boundaries of new methods and come up with novel approaches for examining archaeological remains
- Are keen to explore how archaeology intersects with other disciplines, in particular biomolecular, quantitative and linguistic approaches
- Have a background in one of the following areas: archaeology, archaeological science, anthropology, history, biological anthropology, biology, biochemistry, earth sciences or other relevant disciplines.
- Have an exceptionally strong academic record
- Are enthusiastic and hard-working
- Have excellent English skills
- Have or are about to obtain a PhD degree
- Possess a proven record of publication in international, peer-reviewed journals
- Possess relevant research experience
- Provide an excellent research proposal
- The opportunity to be involved in exciting research projects that provide opportunities for cross-disciplinary collaboration
- Support for field and laboratory research
- Opportunities to learn new skills in archaeological and archaeological science methodologies
- Cutting-edge facilities and equipment
- An excellent research environment
- An English language working environment
- Full funding for top applicants (12-36 months)